Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Societal Trends and the Family

Societal trends are behaviors within a society that are repeated over a period of time.  Research finds that many of the family societal trends today are causing changes in the make-up of a family.

A few of the Societal trends we discussed in class are as follows:
-Waiting longer to marry
-Cohabitation
-Fewer children
-Non-marital births
-employed mothers
-Household size
-Divorce rates
-Living alone
-Premarital sex

Depending on upbringing and culture and many others circumstances, these trends could be looked at in different ways by different people.  I do feel however that there are a few that ought to cause concern for anyone, no matter what culture you belong to.  I would like to hear your thoughts and reasoning if you were to disagree.  I admit that what I have learned of family trends is very base and minimal when it comes to the actual research to the trends.  So I appreciate the feedback.

One of the trends that I feel strongly about is Non-marital births.  This trend is simply when a mother gives birth to a child who does not have a father and mother who are married.  This circumstance may have various implications.  The mother could be single and will need to raise the child on her own.  The mother may be receiving child support from a boyfriend who is willing to help financially but not physically.  Or, the mother and boyfriend could be cohabiting and they are willing to raise the child together unmarried.  Although I feel the latter situation is the most ideal out of the three, I still think it can be improved.  A few questions I asked myself when I first learned of this societal family trend were; What happens to the child? What do studies show with children who grow up in a single-parent home as compared to a home with a mother and father?  Are there differences between a cohabiting couple and a married couple in terms of commitment?  I wish to, throughout this semester, find answers to these questions.  I have heard that the research is out there.  I would also make it a point to include the research to these trends and their impact when I do come across such studies.  I encourage you to search as well. 

No comments: